Wednesday, January 5, 2022

My Reboot

Every year our division requires us to fill out a teacher survey basically indicating what we would like for the following year - stay in the same position, teaching change within the school or division, etc.  Today when I completed mine I was super excited to talk about how much I love my job.   It made me realize once again, that I've been fortunate enough to have a couple of very timely and important "reboots" in the past couple of years.    Here is what I said...

Although I have been at Carlton for a number of years, I have held MANY different roles there and have been provided opportunities for growth. Most recently I have become involved in piloting and developing our blended learning (Personalized) program and am LOVING it. I am teaching ELA for the first time since my first year of teaching. I realize why I initially wanted to major in it, yet changed to something more practical for job opportunities (math). I am also enjoying the other areas that students want to explore and I am excited to work with colleagues to learn other courses that may blend with ELA as well. I am excited to see what this program may grow to and I hope to have an opportunity to continue with it for at least another year or more! This is the first year in a long time that I have been excited to wake up and go to school EVERY SINGLE DAY. I used to enjoy workshop opportunities as a break from the classroom, yet this year I absolutely hate being out of the classroom. These students brighten my day and I hope that I, in turn, help contribute to a positive educational experience for them. I could go on and on and on about how excited I am about what is happening and what I am learning from colleagues and students! This was the reboot that I definitely needed at this point in my career. I joke that if I continue to love my job as I am this year I could imagine going past my retirement date...

As I was writing it many things popped out to me - I truly am loving my job again.   I loved teaching when I started out in my career - I remember a student in my first couple of years asking me if I ever stopped smiling.    Over the years this has often crossed my mind when I realize I'm not smiling enough in the classroom.   Why?  I know there have been reasons, but I also realize it is so incredibly important to be present for these students in a positive manner.   If you don't love what you do, or at least have the energy to pretend to enjoy what you are doing it is important to reflect on whether it is time for a change.   These kids need us.  If we can't be there for them, as hard as it will be for us, we need to find our "reboot", whether it means a change within the school, division or even career.    

This past year I stumbled upon the following quote from Haim G. Ginott:  

“I’ve come to a frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element in the classroom. It’s my personal approach that creates the climate. It’s my daily mood that makes the weather. As a teacher, I possess a tremendous power to make a child’s life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration. I can humiliate or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated and a child humanized or dehumanized.”

This has become my motto in the classroom.   This year with my "reboot" it has been easy to follow.    

I look forward to talking about my blended learning (personalized learning) classroom soon!   It's just a little overwhelming to know how to start!

No comments:

Post a Comment